Antigua.news Antigua and Barbuda Police Question Environmental Activist After Excavator Burned in John Hughes
Antigua.news Antigua and Barbuda Police Question Environmental Activist After Excavator Burned in John Hughes

Police Question Environmental Activist After Excavator Burned in John Hughes

17 February 2026 - 13:03

Police Question Environmental Activist After Excavator Burned in John Hughes

17 February 2026 - 13:03
Police Question Environmental Activist After Excavator Burned in John Hughes

Martin Dudley

Police have questioned environmental activist Martin Dudley as part of ongoing investigations into the destruction of an excavator that was burned beyond repair at a construction site in the John Hughes community. Dudley was questioned on Monday at around 11: a.m at the All-Saints Police Station.

“I did not destroy the excavator. I know nothing about this machine other than it is working in an area I have been monitoring for over two years,” he told Antigua.news on Tuesday morning.

The heavy-duty equipment, valued at several hundred thousand Eastern Caribbean dollars, was reportedly set ablaze sometime between the evening of Wednesday, January 28, and the morning of Thursday, January 29.

Police Question Environmental Activist After Excavator Burned in John Hughes

Burned excavator in question

According to police reports, the excavator had been transported to the scheduled worksite on Wednesday. After completing their shift, workers left the machine at the location. When they returned the following morning, they discovered that the equipment had been severely damaged by fire.

The incident was subsequently reported to the owners of the machinery, who then contacted the police. In a statement, the company confirmed that the excavator “had been so badly burned that it cannot be repaired” and expressed the belief that the fire was deliberately set. The owners also voiced concern about the significant financial loss suffered as a result of the incident.

Law enforcement officials have since launched a full investigation. No arrests have been made, and police say no definitive cause has yet been established.

As part of their inquiries, officers questioned Dudley, who lives in the John Hughes area and has been outspoken about mining activity in the community. Dudley told Antigua.news that he had no involvement in the destruction of the equipment.

Dudley has previously raised environmental concerns about excavation and mining operations in and around John Hughes, arguing that the activity could negatively impact the surrounding ecosystem.

Police are appealing to anyone with information that may assist the investigation to come forward.

About The Author

Shermain Bique-Charles

Shermain Bique-Charles is an accomplished journalist with over 24 years of dynamic experience in the industry. Renowned for her exceptional storytelling and investigative skills, she has garnered numerous awards that highlight her commitment to journalistic integrity and excellence. Her work not only informs but also inspires, making her a respected voice in the field. Contact: [email protected]

13 Comments

  1. Well you have been filiming the happenings, talking against it…making noise, asking them to stop…then bam!!! excavator burn down …they must think is you sir.

    Reply
    • The bit you missed is I also followed the legal procedures to report such activities to the appropriate authorities, the Police, DCA and DoE, after 20 some months there is still no report or concludedinvestigation.
      For clarity know this much, I have nno desire for anyone to be prosecuted (with the exception of the authorities who have failed spectacularly in this example) for the removal of material that was not theirs to take and the legal reuirements were not met for the activity to occur.
      Thisis a very misleading article on a delicate matter.
      https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/odpkbwcdgg7gmkdvukn7w/No-Name-Updated-incident-report..pdf?rlkey=cn4saic6nhklk86x366vjdde5&st=jzz65dek&dl=0

      Reply
      • Hence I completly understand their suspicion.

  2. Unless police have solid evidence against him or sufficient to continue the search, I doubt they are going to figure out who burnt it

    Reply
    • The Police would have zero evidence, cause I did not do it and would not, it would be stupid, unless you feel to do some time and that’s not for me for such an offence

      Reply
  3. Protesting is one thing, but arson is another level. Hope the police get to the bottom of it

    Reply
  4. Who else you think they will question? They will question the first one who does not want the project

    Reply
  5. If Mr. Dudley innocent, then leave the man alone and find who really do it. Everybody know he does speak up about the mining, that don’t make him guilty

    Reply
  6. but Dudley wants to tell antigua.news how to narrate their story? I love this island.

    Reply
    • Perfectly within my rights to make comment, they can tell their story about me as they wish. However when it leaves out pertinent information and the manner it comes across is incriminating and they have all the detail tey need, they could have inclded comment from the senior environmental officer I have been in contact with on this matter since April19 2024.

      Are you of the view this is quality journalism. Unbiased and briging all relavant view to the reader.

      No mentio of the area being designated as environmental protected by the very legislation that the DCA is established to enforce and people are paid with our tax dollars to do so.

      No mention the area is also protected as it is in the Body Ponds, a legally protected area

      If it was a legal construction site, where was form 14 displayed to show the activity has been permitted by DCA

      Does this story relect the FACT that a member of the public submited an incident report in April 2024, yet absolutly nothing appear to have happened in that investigation of note or consequence, there is no final report.

      I am pretty sure if you were in my shoes, having done what I have done you might respond in a similar way.\

      Have you read the report that is a link posted in previous comments.

      In case you missed it, here it is.

      https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/odpkbwcdgg7gmkdvukn7w/No-Name-Updated-incident-report..pdf?rlkey=cn4saic6nhklk86x366vjdde5&st=jzz65dek&dl=0

      Reply
  7. These self proclaimed environmentalists are kookoo so be aware of that.

    Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Antigua News - Breaking stories that captivate
Privacy summary

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best possible user experience. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our site or helping our team understand which parts of the site you find most interesting and useful. More information in Privacy Policy