All missing Cameroonians who have not yet been found have most likely perished. Reports are that 13 are still unaccounted for. Three were found dead.
The boat transporting them to St Thomas from Antigua and Barbuda capsized 12 miles south of St Kitts Conaree village on Tuesday.
Authorities in St Kitts and Nevis say the possibility of finding anyone alive is unlikely, given the circumstances; like depth, water temperature, lack of life jackets, and the ability of the human body to survive over such an extended period in the Atlantic Ocean
The La Belle Michelle, the French boat they were traveling on encountered engine problems and eventually overturned on Tuesday night.
A search and rescue party has been combing the ocean since then but no one else has been found.
The luxury vessel which came to their rescue has been identified as the Genevieve captained by Thomas Auckland.
Meanwhile, Kurt, a survivor, said the boat overturned with all 32 passengers at about 9:30 p.m. in the Atlantic Ocean and it wasn’t until 1:30 a.m. that a yacht rescued them.
“I can’t tell how I managed to survive but I know it was by the grace of God…We stayed in the water for about four hours. The seas were high. We were in the water for four hours. That night wasn’t easy…”, he said.
“I am alive I am not dead. God have me another chance. With time we will give the details about what happened but for now, I just want to say I am grateful to God”
It is unclear whether search efforts will continue into day three as the chances of finding anyone alive grow thinner every day.
All this comes as family and loved ones of those who took that trip are anxiously awaiting the names of those who died
The authorities in St Kitts in Nevis have not disclosed the names of anyone just yet.
Prime Minister Gaston Browne said his government will continue to offer refuge in Antigua and Barbuda to the survivors of Tuesday’s events
“We will make appropriate arrangements for the burial of the deceased. We will also make every effort to contact their relatives to advise them of this heartbreaking tragedy. We appeal to the Africans, who are in Antigua and Barbuda, not to be tempted into any schemes such as happened today, but to work with the Government, through our Immigration authorities, to help find acceptable solutions to their circumstances” he added