The St Kitts government say they have been monitoring the situation in Haiti, after the kidnapping of the country’s Honorary Consul, Harold Marzouka Jr recently.
Dr Terrance Drew, told an interview with the Caribbean Media Corporation Tuesday that the government continues to receive information regarding the abduction.
Marzouka Jr, was taken last week Saturday by heavily armed forces in Haiti. Marzouka was also a businessman in Haiti
“We are still gathering information and so far, as we are concerned there has been no loss of life and we continue to work. But at this time, we are continuing to get information,” Dr Drew said.
In an earlier statement, the government said it is “outraged by the kidnapping” of its Honorary Consul and his father and that “the Consulate’s official vehicle was also seized.
The St Kitts government also condemned the kidnapping in a statement immediately after the kidnapping.
“The Government of St Kitts and Nevis expresses outright condemnation of this and other cowardly acts which lawless agents in Haiti continue to indiscriminately utilize to terrorize Haitian citizens and residents alike.
“The Government of St Kitts and Nevis is deeply concerned about the safety of Mr Marzouka and hope that he will be returned to his home and loved ones soon. It is the Government’s wish that the Marzouka family will find solace in the fact that the Government and people of Saint Kitts and Nevis stand in solidarity with them at this undoubtedly traumatic time,” the statement added.
In the statement, the St Kitts and Nevis called for the violence and crime in Haiti to end.
They also appealed to CARICOM and other international humanitarian crises agencies to speak out against the situation in Haiti.