Police in St Kitts and Nevis have said that the two Antiguans and Barbudans who were among those rescued at sea last week Tuesday following a boat tragedy are suspects but no charges have been laid against them.
That’s according to Commissioner of the Royal Saint Christopher and Nevis Police Force James Sutton.
He told State Media that one of the two Antiguans has been released into the custody of relatives who he has in Saint Kitts, while the other is being held with the other 14 West Africans at a community center where they have been housed since they were rescued in the early hours of last Tuesday.
One of the two Antiguans captained the fishing vessel, La Belle Michelle which capsized carrying 32 people off the coast of St Kitts.
The commissioner said police are also considering whether the men could be held liable for death by negligence, according to ABS.
According to reports, plans are also afoot to get the West Africans back to Antigua, but the two Antiguans would need to remain in the Federation pending the ongoing investigation, lawmen in St Kitts said
The government of Antigua, St Kitts, and Guadeloupe are collaborating as investigations are continuing.
30 West Africans and two Antiguans left the twin island state on Tuesday on an illegal journey to St Thomas but their vessel capsized about 20 nautical miles south of Canary in Saint Kitts.
16 individuals, including the two Antiguans, were rescued but the other 13 are missing and feared dead.
Last Friday, the police and also the Saint Kitts and Nevis Defence Force suspended the search pending any further information.
Police Commissioner Atlee Rodney said several others could be implicated