Editorial Staff

Editorial Staff

Hurricane season come to a quiet end

The hurricane season has ended without any major hurricanes affecting Antigua and Barbuda, but this is no reason to become complacent according to disaster officials.

Today Wednesday marks the end of the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season which ends for June 01 to November 30th.

14 named storms, eight of which became hurricanes developed while there were major hurricanes Fiona and Ian. Fiona was the strongest storm this year.

The forecast from numerous weather services was for an above-average season. Colorado State University originally forecast 19 named storms, nine hurricanes, and four major hurricanes.

The US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in its June forecast for example said there was a 65 per cent chance of an above-normal season, a 25 per cent chance of a near-normal season and a 10 per cent chance of a below-normal season.

Climatologist Fort Myers Beaman said. “While we were fortunate to not be locally impacted this season, a portion of the Gulf Coast suffered a catastrophic hit when Hurricane Ian made landfall near. Ian’s major storm surge and flooding rains resulted in over 100 fatalities. That is a staggering number, and our hearts are with everybody that has been impacted. It is yet another stark and sober reminder of the power and danger of water. It serves as another call to all of us to do all we can to become more resilient and better prepared to face all of the distinct threats a hurricane brings,” he said.

Meanwhile, NOAA described the hurricane season as “unique” due to the rare mid-season pause in storms that scientists preliminarily believe was caused by increased wind shear and suppressed atmospheric moisture high over the Atlantic Ocean. 

With all eyes now on the 2023 Atlantic Hurricane Season, which begins on June 1st, the NOAA is urging persons to ensure their families are prepared.

The end of the season has been quiet, with the last named storm, Nicole, becoming a post-tropical storm on Nov. 11.


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.