Editorial Staff
3 months ago

Editorial Staff
3 months ago

Sir Ronald Sanders highlights the struggles of the Haitian people.

You can now listen to Antigua News articles!

The President of the Permanent Council of the Organization of American States, Sir Ronald Sanders, recently emphasized the importance of reflecting on the continued struggles faced by the Haitian people.

Sir Ron, who also serves as the Ambassador of Antigua and Barbuda, attended a Special Meeting of the Permanent Council on Haiti on November 17th.

He highlighted that the Haitian people have been tragically suffering due to the dominance of armed gangs, which is rooted in a history of oppression, exploitation, and dictatorships.

Sir Ron further noted that Haiti’s deep poverty and underdevelopment are not just symptoms but also the root causes of the country’s ongoing challenges.

This highlights the urgent need for the international community to address the complex challenges faced by the Haitian people and work towards their sustainable development.

Sir Ron has emphasized the importance of re-establishing security in Haiti as an imperative step towards restoring law and order, making the streets safer, and offering a semblance of normality.

However, he also highlighted that this is just the beginning and that the resolution of Haiti’s problems does not end with the disarmament of gangs.

According to him, it is only a gateway to a much-needed, broader economic and social transformation that should be the ultimate goal.

Sir Ron also shares this vision for Haiti, and believes that the focus should extend far beyond recovering it from lawless gangs and declaring, “Mission accomplished.”

Instead, he said there needs to be a comprehensive plan that addresses the root causes of the country’s issues and works towards creating a sustainable future for its people.

This according to him requires a collaborative effort from all stakeholders, including the Haitian government, international organizations, and the private sector, to bring about meaningful change that improves the lives of Haitians and ensures a brighter future for generations to come.

“The Haitian people, who have endured so much suffering for so long, deserve a future that aligns with the basic tenets of a civilized and thriving society. They deserve the dignity of decent housing and the certainty of access to essential services, like water and electricity – not as privileges, but as fundamental rights,” he said

Sir Ron added that the people of Haiti deserve employment opportunities that offer both sustenance and a path to a dignified life.

Education, the bedrock of progress, must be accessible to all children in Haiti, providing them with the knowledge and skills necessary to climb the ladder of success, according to Sir Ron

“Furthermore, it is our collective responsibility to ensure that the shadow of dictatorship and the blight of corruption are lifted from their lives,” he explained.

He explained that the Haitian people deserve no less than the opportunity to thrive in their own country and in circumstances where their rights are protected, their voices are heard, and their dreams are attainable, and Haitian women deserve a life free of violence and rape.

“Let us leave this meeting with an understanding that our work does not end here; but we must get the priorities right, spending our effort and other resources on an agenda that is helpful and meaningful,” he said

Adding, “we should all make a concerted effort to stand with the Haitian people to make Haiti the country they want for this generation, the next generation and the generations yet unborn”

The conflict between armed gangs in Cité-Soleil, located north of Port-au-Prince, has resumed, causing a new fuel shortage in the Haitian capital. This comes amidst an ongoing socio-political and economic crisis where fuel shortages have become recurring incidents.

The GPEP, a group of armed coalition members, are engaged in an all-out battle against the G9, which is led by ex-policeman Jimmy Cherisier, also known as Barbecue.

The clashes have affected the Varreux port terminal, which holds 70% of Haiti’s fuel storage capacity. The remaining 30% is spread throughout the country.

As a result, long queues have once again formed in front of gas stations, and the “yellow gallon” phenomenon, which refers to the standard size and color of containers carried by drivers seeking fuel, has reappeared on the streets.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.