
Rashawn Shabazz
A coroner’s inquest will be held into the death of prison inmate Rashawn “Turtle” Shabazz as authorities move to establish the circumstances surrounding his death following a police-assisted extraction from his cell last month.
Attorney General and Public Safety Minister Sir Steadroy Benjamin confirmed the inquest following the release of preliminary reports detailing what unfolded at His Majesty’s Prison on July 23.
Shabazz was pronounced dead at hospital after he was removed unconscious from his cell during an operation involving prison and police officers.
According to a report from Prison Superintendent Lieutenant Colonel Trevor Pennyfeather, Shabazz was due to be taken to the prison’s medical station after reportedly refusing to take his psychiatric medication for several weeks.
The report states that Shabazz barricaded himself inside his cell while wielding a 2×4 piece of wood and threatened anyone who attempted to enter.
Prison authorities subsequently requested assistance from the police, with Pennyfeather stating that officers were instructed to use minimum force to extract the inmate.
A separate report from Police Commissioner Everton Jeffers said prison officers initially attempted to use pepper spray but were unsuccessful. Police officers later used tear gas to gain entry to the cell.
Pennyfeather’s report also confirmed that an irritant was used during the operation and stated that rubber bullets were deployed as part of the extraction process.
Shabazz was reportedly unconscious when he was removed from the cell and transported to hospital, where he was deemed unresponsive and later pronounced dead.
Benjamin said the coroner’s inquest will form part of efforts to ensure full transparency surrounding the inmate’s death.
The latest developments come one day before a planned picket by Shabazz’s father, who has been demanding justice and answers over the circumstances surrounding his son’s death.





0 Comments